To get the most from music lessons at Globalsound, students should practice several times per week in between their lessons. Parents often ask us for advice on how to help their child practice effectively. Take a look at the ideas below, and implement them in your home:
- Make music practice part of your daily routine on a set schedule.
- Make an agreement with your kids that they can’t watch TV, play video games, or get on the computer until they’ve practiced at least 20 minutes.
- Create a system that rewards practicing. Once your child completes a practice session, he or she can have a small reward, or earn “points” they can save up and redeem later for a bigger reward. If you already use a reward system in your home for grades or behavior, you can easily integrate music practice into that existing system.
- “Out of Sight, Out of Mind.” Make sure the instrument is easily accessible at home by having it where your kids hang out the most.
- If your child plays guitar, a guitar stand is critical to keep the guitar easily accessible and safe from damage. If you need a guitar stand, we now have them available in our store.
- Once your child begins a practice session, don’t interrupt. We often hear from students that they’ll begin practicing, but then have to stop because Mom needed to take a phone call or someone stopped by. Ensure your child can practice uninterrupted for at least 20 minutes per practice session.
- Encourage your child to participate in our showcase events where they perform for the Globalsound community. We definitely see an increase in practicing when students have a performance coming up. These events are powerful motivators as well as great opportunities to boost confidence.
Practicing is a critical element of your child’s overall musical development. Be sure you provide a convenient and distraction-free environment for at-home music practice and, above all, support your child as they improve their skills. If you have any questions, please contact us.
Globalsound – Broomfield CO Music Lessons
Globalsound Music Academy is located in Broomfield, and serves the areas of Westminster, Arvada, Erie, Louisville, Lafayette, Superior, and Boulder areas. Grounded in helping local artists pursue their musical aspirations, Globalsound’s music school offers a variety of music lessons for kids, adults, and teens. Globalsound is also home to the extremely popular Academy of Rock program. Academy of Rock participants gives music students the a unique opportunity to learn teamwork by playing in a band, writing songs together, recording in the studio, and performing live – just like a real rock band. It’s the total rock band experience!